What you will need:
1 x strip of outer fabric 8cm by 43cm
1 x inner of inner fabric 8cm by 43cm
1 x piece 1/4 inch elastic 17cm long
For the Roses:
2 x strips of fabric 52cm by 7cm
1 x strip of fabric 52cm b 5cm
Sewing machine (or you can do it by hand if you like)
1. Iron all your fabric pieces. Place two headband pieces right sides together and fold in half.
2. Cut a slight taper from the folded edge down so that the end measured about 4cm wide.
3. Place wrong sides together and sew along two edges leaving the ends open for inserting elastic.
4. Turn right side out using a safety pin. Top stitch close to the edge leaving the ends open.
5. Iron. Fold in the raw edge of one opening about 1cm and insert one end of elastic 1/2 an inch. Sew over the end 4 to 6 times for security. Repeat on other end. (Be careful not to twist the elastic)
You've finished the headband! If you would prefer at this stage you can leave it as it is without the roses and you have a lovely reversible headband. If you'd like roses like mine however, simple follow these easy instructions!
1. Take the end of one of your rose strips and fold it in half between your fingers.
2. Fold the end in half again.
3. Wrap the strip once around your finger and add a dab of hot glue to hold the centre in place. Then roughly twist the fabric strip and continue to wrap loosely round your finger and the centre of the rose.
4. Add a dab of glue to the loose end and secure it to the rose. You've completed one rose! Repeat with the remaining two strips of fabric.
|Your rose should look like this. If the hole in the middle is visible, gently push down on the top of the rose and it will flatten a little and the hole will not be as obvious. |
6. Position your rose cluster where you'd like them on your headband. I like to place mine about an inch from the elastic on one side so it sits nice and low on the side of my head. Hot glue securely in place.
And there you have a beautiful Shabby Rose Headband!! I hope you enjoyed this little tutorial! :)
NOTE: For personal/gift use only! You may not copy/sell/reproduce any part of this tutorial. You may not use photos from this tutorial for any purpose; you may not sell any items made from this tutorial. Please respect the time and effort that goes into the production of free craft tutorials, it's just general courtesy :)