Monday 16 April 2012

Nifty and Thrifty Gift Wrapping!

This coming weekend my husband are going to the coast to visit my family, I haven't seen them in a while and am looking forward to it very much! I have a bundle of gifts to bring with me including birthday gifts for my sister and brother, mothers day gift for mumsy and something special for dad. I've handmade all the gifts, I can't tell you what they are...they might find out! hehe We haven't been able to post any of them recently so I've been saving them all up for our next trip.

I had no idea how I was going to package and wrap all the presents though with no extra cash for such things! So with a bit of Googling I found this (see link for original source) and I got inspired! I don't have any newspaper but I have supermarket catalogues!

Source: google.com.au via Tash on Pinterest

So this is what you can do for a nifty and thrifty cost cutting idea! Visit your local hardware store and see about getting some free cardboard boxes...I know Bunnings Hardware here has a whole wall of free boxes in all sizes for the public to take and use. Then using your catalogue or newspaper, wrap your box (with the gift inside...don't forget that part!).


Next I found some ribbon I had stashed and stuck it on the gift box.

Then I made a quick and bow with the remaining ribbon like this:

Fold both ends of your ribbon into the middle and glue in place
Flip it over

Fold the top of one of your large loops into the centre and put a dab of glue to hold it in place. Repeat on the other side.

You have your bow! Now take a small piece of ribbon or twine and glue it around the centre to hold your bow together! Stick on your gift box and ta da!! Nifty thrifty giftwrapping that didn't cost you a cent!


And besides! Gift paper usually just gets ripped off and thrown out anyway, so why waste money on it? It's what is on the inside that counts!

Now I'm off to wrap up the rest of the gifts :o)

4 comments:

  1. I love this! Very crafty but I am not sure I am talented enough to make it look pretty like you.Even my regular wrapping paper always looks like a child did it.But I sure will give it a try!

    April K.
    www.bookhoardermom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey April! Glad to have you here :o)
      It's very easy, trust me! The best part about that type of bow is that you really can use it for everything! I use the same technique to make hair bows.

      I'm actually suprised my wrapping job came out so well to be honest..normally my husband is the precision gift-wrapper, I don't know how he gets it so perfect! Even the really odd shaped gifts he managed to wrap neatly! There must be a trick we don't know about lol

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing this! Every week I recycle 2 Sunday papers that I get only for the coupons! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! There's loads of things you can do with newspapers...I'm hoping to get a DIY paper mache treasure chest tutorial up and running soon :o)

      Delete

Thanks a bunch of bananas for the comments lovelies! I sure do appreciate it you spunky thing you :o)