Saturday 14 April 2012

Kitty Earwarmers

Ohhh my gosh BRRRRRRR!!! It is definately starting to cool down here in Armidale with winter fast approaching and judging by how cold it is this autumn, I think we're going to be in for a chilly one!!!! I actually don't mind the cold weather...at least, I don't when I'm warm. Our little unit doesn't heat too well so we spend most of it in hibernation or living in blankets OR wrapped up like the Michelin Man! THIS is the Michelin Man in case you're wondering. Now we all know that since I've learnt to crochet I've gone a TINSY bit nuts with it all BUT as it's finally getting cold, I have reason to crochet now!!! yay!! I have found that there are so many cute crochet beanie patterns out there, my favourite being the ones with animal ears on them but Im not really much of a hat person (they really do look ridiculous on me, especially the earflap ones....I'll show you what I mean one day...maybe.) so I needed something warm but with animal ears on it. How about ear warmers with kitty ears? Perfect! Is it cold at the moment where you are?? Wait, first I should ask which hemisphere you're in? lol


NOTE: You may sell items made from this tutorial with proper credit back to this blog and tutorial. You may not copy/sell/reproduce any part of this tutorial. You may not use photos from this tutorial for any purpose. Please respect the time and effort that goes into the production of free craft tutorials :o)
It was so quick to whip up; the stitches you'll need to know are:

slip stitch (sl st)
sc (single crochet)
hdc (half double crochet)
and that's it! Again, if you need to re-cap on these stitches, I would recommend this site Basic Crochet Stitches to brush up with. I learnt to crochet from those videos, they're fantastic!

You will need:
Worsted weight yarn (1/4 or 1/2 a ball will be plenty)
Size 4mm hook (G...I think)

Firstly you'll need to work up a chain long enough to fit comfortably around your head. Make it a little bit smaller by a few cm to account for the stretch in the crochet. Join with a sl st into the first st of the chain being VERY careful not to twist the chain. I know it's tricky coz it's so thin but trust me, a little meticulous checking here will save you having to remake it later :o)

Ch 1 up from where you've joined and put 1 hdc in each st the whole way around (again being careful not to twist the chain). Repeat the hdc in each st for the next 5 rounds. You might want to pop a marker in so you don't lose your beginning place.

What it should look after two rows
Your completed earwarmers.
With a darning needle weave in your ends and check it fits! Then set it aside and we'll begin the ears!

For this you'll be using the same yarn you used for the earwarmers but you'll also need an inner ear colour; I'll be using hot pink yarn.

With you inner ear colour, chain up 10. The work 1 sc into each chain (you'll have 9 stitches because we're not chaining up 1 at the end of the row). Turn over, skip the next st and put 1 sc into each st. Turn over, skip the next st and put 1 sc into each st. You will notice your triangle is taking form! Keep going until you reach the last row which is just 1 sc and that should be the top of your triangle.

This is what it should look like after the chain and first row of sc.
What you should have after your second row of sc having skipped the first st
you should see your triangle taking shape
Repeat this process for the second inner ear. Weave in your ends.

Your finished inner ear triangles! Don't forget to weave in the ends

Take your outer ear yarn colour and sl st into the bottom corner of your triangle and ch1. Sc along the base of the triangle, ch 1. Sc along the next edge, ch 1 at the top of the triangle then sc into same st. Sc along the remaining edge, sl st to join. Refer to image 1
Ch 1 then sc back up that edge putting 2 x sc into the very top st and then sc down the other side of the ear. Ch 1 then sc back along the edge, putting 2 x sc into the very top st then sc down the other side of the ear again. Refer to image 2. Now depending on how much bigger you want your ears to be, either tie off your yarn here leaving a tail of 25cm to sew the ear onto the headband, or continue the process until you have the size you want. Repeat with the second ear. I've added 1 more row to my ears to make them a bit bigger. Refer to image 3.
1.                                                          2.                                                                   3. 

Lastly all we need to do is sew on the ears! Using your darning needle and yarn, position your ears where you would like them on the earwarmers and stitch on! I sew them on just by weaving the needle between the headband and the first row of stitching on the ears. Don't pull too tightly on the yarn as you go.

They're cute right!!! You're done! :o) I suppose you'll want to see what they look like when worn now won't you? *gulp* ok I'll go take a selfie and be right back...


See!! Isn't it adorable?! The earwarmers, not me...please excuse the 'caught in headlights' face there im not feeling very photogenic today lol

2 comments:

Thanks a bunch of bananas for the comments lovelies! I sure do appreciate it you spunky thing you :o)